Monday, April 30

Where Lilacs Still Bloom

Jane Kirkpatrick's Where Lilacs Still Bloom is based on the true story of German immigrant, Hulda Klager, who made new varieties of apples and lilacs using plant hybridization in the late 1800s, early 1900s.  I read another of Miss Kirkpatrick's based-on-a-true-story books, The Daughter's Walk, and thoroughly enjoyed it so thought this one might also capture my interest.

If you've read many of my book reviews or know me, you'll know I like a wide variety of books.  I love both fiction and non-fiction, science fiction, classic literature, children's stories, modern fiction like The Hunger Games, and pretty much any genre you can narrow a book down to.  However, I regret to say I didn't like this book.  I tried to like it (I must admit, even though I don't have to give a good review for any book I receive for free, I'm grateful to the company's who give them to me and appreciate them--I try to like their books but if I don't, I can't lie). 

I waded through 91 pages of boring.  There is no other word for it.  The only good thing that came from discovering this book is that I'd love to visit Hulda Klager's home and garden in Woodland, Washington.  It's worth googling it, and worth visiting if you live near the area. Perhaps if you love gardening or find a great interest in plant hybridization, you'd like this book.  Read a bit on Amazon.com here if you feel so inclined. 

Thanks to the super cool people at Waterbrook Press for providing me with this book to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment