Sunday, August 4

Sherlock Holmes and the Case of the Needle's Eye: Studying the Bible with the Greatest Detective of All Time!

I have been very remiss in book reviewing lately!  My excuse is that War and Peace is my current read and it's taken me longer to read its 1,300 pages than I expected.  It's an incredible book by my favorite author ever but with 500 characters, it's not exactly easy reading!  Once in awhile, I take a short break for a fast read and then come back to it again. 

So earlier this week, I picked up Sherlock Holmes and the Needle's Eye: The World's Greatest Detective Tackles the Bible Ultimate Mysteries.  I love Sherlock Holmes, whether in print, on BBC, or on old black and white films.  He's an incredibly interesting character, and Len Bailey has captured him well in this book.  Like I said, I'm not doing much pleasure reading these days, but this book fits in perfect with my life at the moment because it is a collection of 10 different mysteries each of which is about 20 pages long.  You can read one and do the corresponding bible study, and then take a break for days, weeks, or even months at a time before picking it back up for more. 

Under close scrutiny ten bible mysteries give up their hidden clues, their long kept secrets. Like a jewel newly polished, they sparkle and shine with a fresh, introspective light.

In each mystery, Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson venture back in time to a particular Old or New Testament setting and solve the mystery.  Perhaps it does sound a bit cheesey, but the author does it well and I really enjoy each mystery!  Definitely a unique approach to bible study, and I love it!  I hope it sells well and encourages the author to write a sequel!  And besides, when we're talking about Sherlock Holmes, there always just has to be a sequel. 

Special thanks to the wonderful people at Booksneeze for providing me with this book to review!

No comments:

Post a Comment