Wednesday, August 14

Grace's Pictures, An Ellis Island Novel

Grace's Pictures is a charming read that takes place on Ellis Island during the early 1900s.  Admittedly, it took me a few chapters to really get into the story but when I did, I had to know what was going to happen.  Grace is an Irish lass who has quite a lot of trust issues and who seems very lost in New York.  She is a very timid person, and I am quite the opposite so her personality and past aren't exactly something I can relate to.  Still, her character is sweet and likeable, anyway, and she definitely changes by the end of the book.  If you had a rough childhood or are a very shy person, you would probably be able to relate to her and get more out of this book than I did.  A plus for me was learning a bit about early photography and the Kodak Brownie camera.  History stuff makes me happy.  

If you're looking for an easy, cozy read this summer, I think you'll like this one.  You can read the first chapter here on Amazon.
From the back cover: 
A casual stroll through a beautiful New York City park turns into a hostile run-in with local gangsters, who are convinced Grace's camera holds the first and only photos of their elusive leader. A policeman with a personal commitment to help those less fortunate finds Grace attractive and longs to help her, but Grace believes such men cannot be trusted. Spread thin between her quest to rescue her mother, do well in a new nanny job, and avoid the gang intent on intimidating her, Grace must put her faith in unlikely sources to learn the true meaning of courage and forgiveness.

Special thanks to the wonderful people at Tyndale for providing me with this book to review.

No comments:

Post a Comment