Friday, November 2

Life With Lily: Amish Fiction for Kids!

I was so excited to see that there's now Amish fiction for children!  I had the opportunity to review Life With Lily, the first book in a new series.  The author, Suzanne Woods Fisher, grew up Amish and based the books off of her own childhood.  I thought this would be the perfect way to help my children to understand the Amish. I've been reading it to my children at bedtime.  Since it say for ages 8 and up and Lily is only 6 years old, I was a bit surprised that the book is so long (almost 300 pages) and it's not really something most early elementary children would read.  Since Lily is in first grade, I expected these books to be more like the shorter Imagination Stations series we've been reading and perhaps with more and larger pictures inside (there a few small illustrations).

Perhaps in the future, Miss Fisher will write something that a younger audience can read themselves.  We are enjoying it, though, in our own way.  :)

Lily is six in this story, just starting first grade in a one-room schoolhouse in upstate New York. Her parents are busy building a farm, and soon animals join the family—Jenny the cow and Chubby the miniature horse. A baby brother arrives, too, which Lily has mixed feelings about. (She wanted a sister!) Aside from a mischievous friend like Mandy Mast, Lily is happy at school and even happier at home. 


Trouble is brewing at the schoolhouse and change is on the horizon for Lily and her family.



 
Special thanks to the wonderful people at Litfuse for providing me with this book for review! 

No comments:

Post a Comment