Thursday, September 13

Be Still My Soul: Sweet, Mountain Historical Fiction


 
Be Still My Soul is a sweet love story of Lonnie, who lives in a small Appalachian Mountain town. She reminded me much of Cinderella--her family life was terrible, her father very cruel, but she loved God in spite of her surroundings, and she sought to do the right thing no matter the cost.  Hers was a character I could admire: she was the perfect example of meekness.  And no, meekness doesn't mean "weakness."  It means "power under control."  Lonnie exemplified that to a t. 

Forced to marry a man who was nothing less than a womanizer and a selfish jerk (Gideon's super cute but that's about all he's got going for him), Lonnie is forced on a journey by foot far away from her home.  Gideon won't even give her a bite of breakfast at one point.  I wanted to reach through the pages and... well... But God was with this imaginary character through every page, overshining Lonnie and her husband's seemingly-hopeless circumstances.  The way all ends were tied up was perfect.  I highly recommend this book if you're looking for a heart-warming read!



Thanks to the wonderful people at Waterbrook Press for providing me with this book to review!

No comments:

Post a Comment