Tuesday, July 17

Bringing Up Girls by Dr. James Dobson: A Must-read for any Parent of Girls!

Years ago, Dr. James Dobson wrote Bringing Up Boys, a book from Focus on the Family that I highly recommend for any mom or dad with a son.  I've been the mama to 3 beautiful little girls for the last 7 years.  All that time, Bringing Up Boys sat on our bookshelf and I often wished there were a version focusing on girls. When I found out there was one (it was just released earlier this year) I was totally excited! And when I found out I'd have the opportunity to review it for Tyndale House, I was even moreso!

Practical advice and encouragement for those shaping the next generation of women.

Dr. James Dobson is a very well-reknown, experienced psychologist with a Christian worldview.  That being said, even those who aren't Christians have benefited from his wisdom.  He's definitely been blessed with great insight into a great many things, especially family life.

If you've read Bringing Up Boys (and if you haven't and have a son, you should!) then this book is just what you'd expect.  It focuses on every important issue a parent of a young woman will come across.  It's written by a very conservative man who obviously loves God and believes that it's our purpose as parents to shape our daughters into women who will love Him and will stand with Him in a world that's quickly changing.

"Girls are made of sugar and spice and everything nice, but boys are made out of snakes and snails and puppy dog tails."  A joke, of course, but everyone knew there was some truth to it.

The following are just a few of the subjects Bringing Up Girls dives into:

  • Teaching girls to be ladies.
  • The obsession with beauty.
  • Girls and their mothers.
  • Why daddies matter.
  • The river of culture.
  • Proteching your daughter from invasive technology.
  • And lots more.... but you can check it out by reading an excerpt here!
Special thanks to the wonderful people at Tyndale for providing me with this book to review!

1 comment:

  1. I have this book and now I need to read this book ;).

    ReplyDelete