Tuesday, September 6

The Family Illustrated Bible

As a little girl, my first introduction to the bible was The Children's Illusrated Bible.  It was big and blue with drawings that drew me into the story.  I remember sitting in the waiting room of General Motors as my parents negotiated for hours, buying a new car.  I sat there and read that illustrated bible.  I may have even read the whole thing.  Either way, I read a lot of it and I was introduced to the story of God and His love for me.

The Family Illustrated Bible is pretty amazing!  My favorite parts of it are the amazing 2 page photographs of places like the Sea of Galilee, the Jordan River, and Jerusalem.  It also includes classical artwork and photos of archaelogical artifacts.  It ends with great picture dictionaries of People of the Old Testament & People of the New Testament, and a thorough Index.

My only qualm with The Family Illustrated Bible is that it's called a "bible."  Honestly, it's not any type of interpretation of the bible.  If anyone uses this as their "bible," they're going to be missing out on God's word.  This is a book of bible stories, but not an actual bible.  It's an amazing resource, yes, and one I think would be a great addition to any bookshelf but should not substitute your time in God's Word.


This book was provided to me by the wonderful people at New Leaf Pub. in exchange for a thoughtful and honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment