Tuesday, April 26

This Little Prayer of Mine

Tonight we read a sweet little picture book: "This Little Prayer of Mine."  I asked my 5 and 6 year old daughters what they thought about it after we read the last page.

Beth said, "I like it but I do like other books better."

Olivia said, "I like it because there is a kitty in it!"


Milena said, "I like the kitty, too!"

As you can see, my daughters like animals.  Animals get their attention better than cute little kiddos like themselves.  (In case you're wondering, the "kitty" in the book is a gift to an old man who needs cheering up).  My kiddos do admittedly like other books more than this one.  Still, that didn't keep them from asking me to read it to them again and again!

From a mommy perspective, I like this book because it doesn't teach just rote prayers like some children's praying books do.  This book is an example of a brother and sister's prayer and they pray about everything, "without ceasing" as the bible tells us we should do.  It shows what a real childlike relationship with God can look like and it shows that we can call on God not just when we need something, but when we're sad, alone, scared, left out, and even selfish.  It's a great book and I definitely recommend it!

The wonderful people at Waterbrook Multnomah provided me this book in order to facilitate a thoughtful and honest review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment